The Common Beer Company

Mark told me "The Bandit" was a mistake.  This 8.9% IPA that lingered in the roof of my mouth in pleasant smokiness was supposed to be something else.  Something sweet, maybe?  Nonetheless, it was my favorite of the numerous brews offered by the Common Beer Company in Mason, Ohio.  I also sampled the strong coffee stout known as "Any Moment Now" and "My First Creamy Blonde", the cream ale (nicely understated).  Additionally, there was a cider, a sour, and a lemon wheat.  I tried most of the menu.  You can do flights.

Amy, Mark's wife, is my cousin.  After years of dreams, the Lortzes finally realized them on East Main Street in Mason, not far from Cincinnati.  I've had the pleasure of trying Mark's creations at various times, once in a hotel room during a trip to Chicago.  For as long as I've known him, he's had this passion.  It was clear he wasn't just a hobbyist brewer.  And here we are.  Last weekend my wife and I joined Mark, Amy, and more of my family, who coincidentally you'll hear more about in postings to come, to see the new spot.  It is a cozy, attractive bar in which you immediately feel at home. That is the intention.  A place to share stories and perhaps even meet some new folks as you gather with those you cherish.  When it warms up, you'll be able to hang on the patio out back.  On the way there, you'll get to see some of the production area.

You should also try the "Son of a Nutcracker", a 7% wheat beer served with a Snickerdoodle cookie.  The "Maggs 59", named after Maggie, Amy and Mark's daughter, is "our Bud Light", at a mere 3.1%.   There are also wines and spirits, as well as sodas and tea.  Snacks, including jumbo pretzels are also available but for dinner you should check out the Wildflower Cafe across the street, where we dined during our lovely weekend. It is a farm to table eatery that just celebrated its ten year.  I had the ribeye as my entree and bread pudding to cleanse my palate.  Great appetizers - one of them a mushroom fondue - as well.   The owner is named Todd and a dear friend and supporter of the Lortzes. A great chef, and a really cool guy.

We also participated in Saturday morning yoga at the Common.  My first time.  It's true, you do feel quite limber afterward.  Being in a brewery and hearing classic rock (along with some soothing spa music at the beginning and end) gave the whole experience something extra.  I think this will be a weekly thing for those interested.

When in Mason, support my peeps, will ya? The beers are terrific.  My family is even more of a reason to go.  Tell them I sent you.

The Common Beer Company
126 East Main Street
Mason, OH  45040
513-204-0023
commonbeercompany.com

Comments

Popular Posts