Dr. Moody

Dr. Jess Moody was described by someone as a "Titanic Baptist figure".  Once, when he came to my ENT office for a hearing aid fitting, the MD who started the practice some forty odd years earlier stated with awe - "This guy is a rock star in Palm Beach County! You should've been here in the '60s!"  I was not, but Dr. Moody's local legacy began in that decade, after several years of preaching the Word around the globe.  He landed at First Baptist Church in West Palm Beach as head pastor in 1961 and served until 1976.  During that time he founded Palm Beach Atlantic College (now University).  Where I completed my undergrad.

Jess Moody died earlier this month at the age of ninety-three.  My friend Don, who was a dear confidant of Dr. Moody's for many years, was there near the end.  In fairly recent years, I went to breakfast and dinner with them a few times.  The big man had slowed down.  His vision and ambulation (and hearing) were failing.  But he was no less gracious and humorous than he had ever been.  Hearing friends and family eulogize him last Saturday was humbling and inspiring.  His son stood and looked around the sanctuary, remembering its erection, the smell of plaster of Paris.  The very place Jess built, along with the dearly departed Chapel-by-the-Lake across the street, now the site of a monstrous high rise.  The places so key in my younger life.  There was also a mention of the several unpublished manuscripts he left behind.  The memorial service was one of the most moving and powerful I've attended.  I'm really hoping a recording was made. What a life.  If Jess' good buddy Burt Reynolds was still with us (he passed last September), I know he would've been there.

My first memories of Dr. Moody are of his last days at FBC, before he moved on to Van Nuys, California.  I was just a small child.  He helped my grandmother, who was married to an alcoholic, form an Al-Anon chapter at the church.  For years after I heard of his continuing ministries.  I read his anthologies of his life tales, including Club Sandwich.  With amusement, I recall the story of when the producers of one of the DAMIEN movies sought his consultation on matters theological.  He married Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan.  He married my wife and I in 2009.  A high honor that I will always cherish.

Rest in Peace, my good friend, my Pastor.  The saint marched in and got his crown.

Comments

Popular Posts