That's a Wrap, '18

Ah, Kensington, how I miss thee.  2018's second biggest story was my second time ever trip to Europe.  Spain, France, and for the first time, England.  London town.  Absolutely adored it.  Full of energy, history, diversity, and pride. Clean.  Even the Brexit protesters outside Parliament were polite.  We could learn from that?  So much to say.   I'm still buzzing.  Go back and read the postings from September.  Then book your own trip.  It was expensive, but so worth it.

The first biggest story was the passing of my mother in November.  I went back through previous year end entries and saw much the same report of her lack of progress in the nursing home, following her diagnosis of sacral decubitus back in 2007. She would never walk again.  Too sad to recount.  Exhausting to rehash now.  I knew the holidays would be challenging this year without her, but in some ways she had checked out from life long ago.  That sounds heartless and ice cold, but her last decade of Christmases were spent in bed.  A far cry from all the excitement she created in her homes of years past.  Each time I brought a Christmas card and a small gift to her at the facility, I choked up.  This year, there was no one left to visit.  The extra time I had on Christmas Day felt hollow and guilt ridden.  But mom has been finally delivered from pain.  I have to keep focusing on that.

2018 saw the deaths of several of my friends'  mothers, curiously enough.  Mostly friends my age.  One lost his father and mother about two months apart.  Quite a season of grieving.  This year two of my old classmates, also my age, left this world.  One was very sudden.  Dear people.  I also lost the Pastor who officiated my wedding, a longtime big figure in my life.  John McCain, Burt Reynolds, George Bush Sr., Billy Graham, and Penny Marshall also left us.  Did Mortality slap me in the face this year? Indeed.

Went kayaking with friends from work twice this year.  Once in Vero Beach and once in Jupiter, FL.  Very relaxing and a darned good work out too.

In addition to Europe, I visited Nashville, Asbury Park, NJ (as a groomsman in a wedding), and Mason, Ohio.  They say you should travel to at least one place you've never been each year.  Where will I go in 2019?  Norway and Italy are on the list, but we shall see when they happen.

Yes, we're still thinking of moving out of FL.  We're one step closer now, but there are still several bits of business to which to attend.  Many loose ends to tie up.

How was work? Mostly quite good.  Even after three plus years, adjustments to the corporate style are in progress.  For me, it's all about patient care.  Keeping your eye on the ball.  I still love my job.  I'm forever grateful I left the pharmacy world over ten years ago.

So here goes another year.  A good one, it seems, ultimately.  The sting of my mother's death will forever distinguish it but the comfort of the faith we shared will cast it in gold.  Lamplight Drivel will continue onward into 2019 with more movie and music reviews.  More audiology postings.  Some life reports.  You know, the usual.  It remains a bit of therapy for me.  Will I do this the rest of my days? I hope so.

Happy New Year!!


Comments

Popular Posts