The Wiseacre Duos, Sidebar: WEEN

Before I continue with the WD series I thought I'd mention another wiseacre duo I am only now beginning to appreciate: Ween. Oh, I've been aware of them for years, but my earliest listens made me want to rip the headphones off as quickly as possible. Their unrelenting smugness really rubbed me the wrong way. They came off like a pair of smart alecks who flaunted their talents while raising a middle finger at the listener.

I still feel like they do that, but lately I've become more receptive to their versatility. No two songs sound the same. Really something. Occasionally, their cleverness becomes cloying and their cynicism (to say nothing of taste) goes over the line. But slowly I'm diggin' 'em. They were not part of the original blueprint, but maybe they will rate an entry in the future, after I've absorbed their catalogue and learned more about them. At the rate I am going with the WD series, that is entirely possible. Stay tuned?


A fan's video for "Zoloft":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMX2UwRwjk

Comments

Popular Posts