Summer Check-In

Greetings, invisible audience! Hopefully you're keeping cool and sufficiently hydrated during the record setting heat this summer.  Now we can say with certainty and verifiable data that this summer is in fact hotter than any we can remember.  You can argue about the definition of "heat index" but everyone should agree that it's plenty sweltering.  We keep releasing a lot of C02 into the atmosphere, but that pesky El Nino has a lot to do with it as well.  Fingers crossed as always for hurricane season. 

With all the folks pouring into South Florida, we've been steady at the ENT/audiology clinic.  At least there are no double bookings as during "the season."   We have one doctor moving on and another taking his place.  Very friendly and young.  I think he graduated from medical school in 2015.  Some patients give him the "Doogie Howser" reaction. 

I'm looking into a new treatment known as Lenire, an FDA approved device which implements bimodal neurostimulation (sound and electrical impulses via the tongue) to manage tinnitus.  I learned about this from a patient who already made an appointment in another state at one of the twenty or so clinics that currently offers it.  It is being slowly rolled out across the U.S.  I'm on a provider waiting list.  More later.

Got a surprise text from one of my grad school classmates a few weeks back.  I hadn't talked to her in person in about fifteen years.  She lives in her native Texas, doing prn work as an audiologist.  Along with that, she's started a company that will hire out other Au.D.s to fill in for those who are ill, on vacation, on maternity leave, etc.  Her husband's work brought him to Stuart (about forty-five minutes north of WPB) and she joined him to get some R & R.  Their kids stayed with the grandparents.  My wife and I met her at a waterfront spot called Sailor's Return.  Good seafood and quite scenic.  Try the ahi tuna nachos.  The afternoon monsoon had passed and cooled things down.  Glad I reserved an outdoor table.   It was fun to catch up.  Unfortunately, my friend's husband was still at work and unable to join us. 

I had first learned of this restaurant some years back when my twenty-five year high school reunion had its third night celebration there (which I didn't make).  It seemed an appropriate choice for this occasion for that alone, but it being dockside didn't hurt.  One of the yachts was called "Yes Dear".  Ha. 

Last weekend my wife and hiked at the wonderful, beautiful Riverbend Park in Jupiter.  Specifically, the Reese pedestrian trail.  It's just over two miles.  We saw, in addition to several cyclists, a deer family along the way.  You could get fairly close to them. 
Back on New Year's Day my wife and I joined her co-workers for some kayaking at Riverbend on the Loxahatchee River.  We rented, but you can bring your own.  Very relaxing, yet good exercise.  Lots of cypress.  We saw a few alligators on the bank.  They didn't move. 
 
Taking some time off later this month and in August.  Part of that will involve a trip.  I'll let you know where.

Until next time....

Comments

Popular Posts