Adios, Ultima

Last week the bad news was discovered on social media - my beloved Ultima gym in West Palm Beach is closing for good.  I felt a hollow pit in my abdomen that has become all too familiar in this Age of Virus to which we have devolved.  And now, another early casualty.  A place I had used for the past nine years with admirable regularity.  My gym. I'm still in disbelief.  So much learned - proper technique, how to breathe, how not to feel intimidated among the Adonnises.  Ultima always provided a friendly environment.  So many memories: former employees, "buddies" - those who worked out the same times you did (and with whom you sometimes shared a smile or at least a nod), temporarily panicking because I misplaced the key to my locker, variable overhead music.  Thankfully the meathead quotient was low.

The original location was on the northwest corner of Clematis Street and Dixie Hwy.  I believe it opened in the mid 1990s.  For years I passed the windows, gawking at the treadmill and elliptical fiends.  In 2011, I became one of 'em.  Eventually, I included weights and swiss balls in my routine.  Then, my wife and I began sessions with personal trainers.  First with Austin, an ambitious and all around awesome young man who I believe wants to coach basketball.  He eventually moved away, and we began with Kathleen, a warrior.  Even some of the other trainers joked that her workouts were too hard for them.  I had a few difficult moments, and one horrific afternoon post workout that convinced me I was having a heart attack due to chest pains, but it was merely because I overdid the TRX and weight poles.  Kathleen was also ambitious and very personable.  We hope to meet up with her for more punishment elsewhere. 

My old routine took me to Ultima at night, after work, but last year I began doing 5:30 AM sessions.  I wrote about it previously..  That was a huge step for a non-morning person. Really supercharged my days.  I kept it up for several months but began slacking in December, never to resume.  My most recent workouts have been limited to Saturdays.  Damn.  I'm really going to miss the place.  The spectacular fourth floor views of Palm Beach (Ultima moved to Flagler Drive a few years back), especially during sunrise.  The cool staff, including Vicky, who always seemed to be there.  The general air of encouragement and inspiration.  The gym offered many classes over the years, including one in self defense in 2019.  It was led by a trainer who, after his shift one evening, was mugged while he was walking to his car!  Did that punk pick the wrong victim!

The Corona virus and a slow season contributed to the owners' decision.  I wasn't entirely surprised by the announcement.  It must be said that several members did not continue their memberships when the gym made the move to a smaller, if more attractive, locale.  I believe the move was prompted (at least in part) by members' increasing harassment by homeless folks across Clematis near the library.

So goodbye to my longtime second home of sorts.  I hope to see you guys again somewhere.  Love you all.  Including the staff bulldog, Dagney, who often gave my legs a tongue bath after a particular schvitzy workout.

Comments

Popular Posts