5:30 A.M.

In my 20s I semi-regularly arose before sunrise to go running or biking with friends from college and/or the singles group at church.  It was never easy, but I did it.  I've never been a morning person.  I get up early these days only by necessity.  It feels entirely unnatural to me.  So how is it I've been able to get up at 5 A.M. and hit the gym for a solid hour workout 2-3 days a week before work over the past 2 months?

Necessity.  My work hours take me well past dinnertime and I'm just too wiped to go afterward.  Over the past few years, I've only been able to make it on Saturdays, for our couples' workout with our trainer extraordinaire Kathleen.  She's been on maternity leave since April.  We have worked with her long enough to have absorbed the TRX and kettle bell routines.  But once a week, trainer or no trainer, isn't enough.

So I made a pact with myself to drag my fifty year old keister outta bed and into the dark of the AM.  I usually arrive just after the 5:30 opening.  By ten to six, the gym is packed.  These are the serious ones.  The warriors.  Not the flirters or selfie takers.  Then boot camp begins at 6.   As I wind through my weight and cardio drills I watch in amazement how these men and women barrel through the exercises that I take my time with.  And they do many more sets of 'em.  I have to work up to this.  Soon.

I love it now.  I feel energized the entire day, even during the dreaded afternoon stretch.  The only rough session was July 5th, after a night of Independence Day celebration, which included generous amounts of wine and gin.  Bad decision.  Reminded me of my old hangovers, and possibly felt worse.  But otherwise, with the right music streaming into my Bluedio supra-aural headphones (the music in the gym is variable), I can power on even at the ungodly hour. 

Try it! Benefits are guaranteed.

Comments

Popular Posts