Holiday Party '19

I attended my tenth office holiday party last week.  Should've been the eleventh, but I missed one as I was out of town two years ago.  It's hard to believe we are in the midst of the Christmas season yet again. Possibly also difficult to believe I've been at this same job for so long.  You may have read that things have changed considerably there.  The parties have also devolved from sit down dinners with real food to bar and game affairs with what are essentially snacks.  Hey listen, I'm not ungrateful......

For 2019, we met at the recently open Drive Shack in West Palm Beach.  A place to chip golf balls into a  huge field that borders Belvedere and Australian near the airport.  Ninety-six bays, three levels.  You have your choice of woods, irons, wedges, and drivers to whack that ball as high and as far as the fences can hold.  On video monitors, you can get all the stats: height, distance, speed.  There are video games of skill in which the colored circular areas on the green (via the monitor) may have cartoon monsters, dartboards, or poker hands.  There are bars, restaurants, and retro video games on the third level.  For our two hour shindig, we had a taco station, which was so-so.  The two drink tickets we received may have proven more popular.

I went to a place like this years ago.  It was comparatively primitive, out west of town, and the only game was to see if you could hit the truck that retrieved the balls.  Currently, Top Golf is a competitor in Orlando.  I liked Drive Shack.  Attractive, bright location, friendly staff.  I've heard the burgers and such need work.  Always expected in a place like this.  It would be great for a family or youth group outing.  We had fun.  Only one among us was really deft with the clubs, but she plays regularly.  Her swing was a good 180 degree arc.   The remainder of us did fair, getting at least a few impressive drives.  This includes me, who has never played a game of golf in his life.  I was joking with one of the ENTs that my golf skills are pretty much limited to my ability to quote CADDYSHACK.  He laughed and agreed, recalling that he loved the movie so much he made an audio recording and played it in his car while in college.

BTW - this was my first work party at which all of the ENTs attended.  Interesting.

We played on the second level.  I was told we were not on the third as there was concern someone would fall off.  Oh dear.  I could see that happening.  After the white elephant gift exchange, which wasn't as chaotic as some in the past, folks started dancing and seemed more liquored up.  "That's my cue to leave", said one of my co-workers.  Yeah, mine too.  There was talk of an after party at Roxy's on Clematis.  I'm sure it traveled from there.  Unlike my downtown nights in my 20s, I had a wife to get home to.  Thank you, Jesus.

So there you have it.  Another party for the record.  I've spoken several times of the old ones, which become more golden and cherished as time passes.  Nice memories.  The newer ones are reflective of the workplace changes, and I'll just leave that there.  But I'm still fortunate, after all this time, to still get to serve young and old as an audiologist in a beautiful location.  I am blessed, sand trap lamentation or otherwise.

Comments

Popular Posts