2017, One Last Time

If you're of a certain age you'll note how much faster time goes as an adult than when you were a child.  I recently had this discussion with one of the doctors I work with.  He had read an article in a neurology journal that explained the reason for this curiosity - our brains are chock full of experiences and memories, thus making everything move faster.  Kids are still acquiring experiences, making those forced naps and long waits for Christmas Day interminable.  Interesting.

2017 was indeed a flash, a year that was not the parade of significance as in previous, but still filled with every emotion.  Highlights:

-Attended my thirtieth high school reunion (You can read about it here).  I was initially reluctant for numerous reasons.  For one, the twenty-fifth was so satisfying I didn't want this new one to be some weak epilogue.  Aside from a few minor disappointments, it was a success.  How many more will I grace?

-Traveled to Oregon and Idaho for the first time.  I've always been enamored with the American West, and these were frontiers yet to be crossed.  Loved both places.  I did write about them (three entries).  You'll have to scroll back for those, slackers!

-Lost several patients this year.  I'm talking mortality.  I've been through this many, many times but it stung worse than usual in 2017.  Especially the fifty-seven year old I fit with new hearing aids who died a few days after her third appointment with me.  Fifty-seven.  I wept after hours in the office over her and for one special lady (in her late 80s) who had told me in 2016 that she had cancer.  The call from her daughter came last July.  Not hearing Lorraine's Southern drawl in the exam room makes things a little bleaker. 

-Endured a rather scary hurricane warning.  Irma was predicted to be a Category 4 monster, but thankfully only packed Cat. 1 conditions for our coast.  Unsettling time nonetheless.  The folks in Puerto Rico were not so fortunate with Maria.  Any time I complain these days I stop and remember those over there, still without power.

-Had a white Christmas (here)!  The flurries came down during our pre-Christmas trip to northern NJ, and created little kid excitement for myself and (I think) my wife.

-Completed a full year of couples' workout.  We had two trainers extraordinaire at Ultima Gym in West Palm Beach: Austin for the first quarter and Kathleen for the remaining.  Learned a heckuva lot and despite a continued battle with the abdomen, got in better shape. Still a lonnnggg way to go.

You may have noticed the absence of a December tradition this year here at Lamplight Drivel - the holiday party summary.  One did occur, at a sports bar chain that is somewhat of a go-to for decent food but hardly my first choice for a Christmas bash.  I was enjoying the snow in Waldwick while my co-workers exchanged white elephant gifts.  Sorry to have missed it, but I think I was in a better place.

Speaking of work.....pretty good year.   The growing pains of the early days of our practice's merger are largely past.  For the most part I've been able to continue my diagnostics and amplification services in the same manner as I always have.  September marked my eight year anniversary.  As with each of those, many faces changed around the office. Even the office manager.  In 2017, the front desk staff completely turned over.  I realize that such a position is usually transitory, but in my earlier years we had some longtimers who did their jobs and did them well.  I don't want to be yet another grump who cracks on Millenials, but........

How's mom? Still in rehab.  Still hard to discuss.  Pray. Yes, it works.

In the news? Trump, yes.  No rehashes or rants this time.  How about that rash of ruined careers over allegations of sexual innuendoes and misconduct, some from decades ago? Producers, actors, T.V. hosts, senators, and others watched their reputations fester as many came out of the woodwork to reveal long ago indiscretions meted out by these apparent male scumbags.  I am not defending anyone here.  Please don't accuse me of trivializing any wrongdoing.  I am not "victim shaming."   If these men are guilty of these acts, they should pay somehow.  Though some of these charges are far less heinous than others, and many more notables would be toast if their closets were shaken.  If this were the pre-Internet age, I'd offer: "Get a good press agent, yet-to-be-revealed predators!" Hope the fallen were smart with their millions.

For actors, musicians, and authors, I have this apparently keen ability to separate the art from the artist.  Old story.  I will continue to appreciate Kevin Spacey's past work.  I just don't understand how folks "can't watch him anymore."  You do realize that your beloved thesp may well have done worse things than Spacey, right? Is ignorance bliss for you?  Speaking of Spacey, you probably know that his scenes (as J. Paul Getty) in the current ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD were reshot with Christopher Plummer.  Unprecedented.  A money move, and one I understand.  Would it have been fair to the cast and crew if the film had been shelved? So how about GORE, the already filmed biopic of author Gore Vidal with Spacey in the lead that has entirely been scrapped?

By the way, Plummer ain't no saint.  Ever read his autobiography In Spite of Myself: A Memoir? The one in which he reveals much lascivious behavior, some of which I'm sure was not consensual?  No backlash for him.

LD continued to be mostly about movies in '17 and there's no indication that will change in '18.  I have quite a storehouse of reviewed films to share in the coming months.  There were some personal entries and I'd like to contribute more in the future.  I could do another series - like the previous ones about undergrad, my time in NYC, and the twenty years I toiled in pharmacy - about graduate school, but maybe more time needs to pass.  That was quite an experience.  Maybe I'll save it for my memoir.

May your 2018 be filled with joy, health, and peace.

Comments

Popular Posts