Holiday Passages

In the middle of the frivolity yesterday, I recalled many of the previous Christmas/holiday work parties I'd attended. Regs will note that I've documented a few here. Some were extravagant, others, bargain basement. Some were after hours, others during the time we'd normally be working. Most involved a gift exchange, a "white elephant" kind or some sort. I remember once wrapping a gift (mere minutes before it would be torn open) in the parking lot of a bank across from my workplace. Ever the procrastinator.

I remembered the faces, if not all the names. I've had lots of co-workers, most of whom are now just fuzzy memories. Yesterday, I joined my associates and superiors at an upscale restaurant downtown for an afternoon celebration. It had all the ingredients: embarrassing attempts at dancing (me), racy gag gifts, just-fair cuisine, unusually candid conversations, and at least one person who went far afield from their normal behavior. Alcohol can be blamed for some of the above. I say this with no denouncement, no Baptist judgment (though please refrain from calling me a Baptist).

The event was very enjoyable, the hosts very gracious and generous. Elegant appreciations were voiced for our daily efforts. I have been truly blessed in my new workplace. The parties of years gone by had provided a few hours of amusement and then evaporated. I look back on most with a smile, a few with a groan. After the last silly cackle and dancefloor misstep of 12/11/09 have been forgotten, the warm feelings will remain.

Thanks, everyone.

Comments

Stephen Ley said…
I'm surprised the fare at F---- was "just-fair". We had our party/gift exchange last night...number 13 in a row for me. Or has it been 14? I can relate to your reflections. Much has changed since those early ones. Inebriation and embarassing behavior has decreased in direct proportion to the increase in marriages and kids.

In his sermon Sunday our pastor included the many varieties of beer as an example of God's extravagant giving. Maybe you should come over to the Presbyterians ; ) Personally, I think the existence of Dogfish Head IPA is definitely an evidence of common grace!
redeyespy said…
The restaurant had been previewed quite favorably by several employees, too. They swore the food had been better. It wasn't bad by any means, but I had high expectations!

I would have to agree with the beer endorsement, tis divine! Though not for my waistline, of late!

Popular Posts