A Toast to the Extras

Been busy these last few weeks....it's good to be still, if but for a short while.

-Dr. D jetted off to Sweden for the annual tinnitus conf. Perhaps he'll come back with some new protocols for our beleaguered patients, they of the chronic perceptive steam whistles and (heaven forbid) pulsations that mimic a syncopated backbeat in some old hipster's catalogue.

-I took a certification exam in Orlando (fingers triple crossed!). Sonia and I enjoyed EPCOT, complete with 360 degree world tours and half liters of spaten! It was our first road trip in far too long. More travels forthcoming. But damn those petrol prices! I still think of that lovely day in '95 when I pulled up to the QT in Gwinnett Cty, GA and got some 87 for 86 cents a gallon! A mere 13 years ago! Maybe I should form my own cartel?

-Went to lovely Minnesoter for my 2nd annual Starkey Summit. Even more fun this year. Met some really nice folks, one of whom was quite the wit (even quoted obscure Python). Two former classmates were vying for the same coveted rep gig; both are extremely intelligent, lovely ladies. I just learned who "won"; she was the more extroverted of the pair, and I guess that was what was needed. The other is itching to get out her hearing aid intensive job, and I know she'll do fine.

We also visited Starkey CEO Bill Austin's pallatial pad again. Adorned with rare art, themed rooms, and a large lake out back, it is certainly a highlight of these trips. As I killed another plate of sublime ribs with some folks, I recalled my time in this exact spot the year before, chatting with other swell people, none of whom were here this time (there is more than one summit per year). But, I thought about them, still so fresh in my mind.

Each person in my life, or movie, is very important. Some are mere walk-ons, extras, if you will. Onscreen only for a brief time. They all impress upon me in compelling ways. These Starkey visits provide such encounters. I have great conversations, share awkwardness, laughs, even meaningful exchange. Then they're gone. Back to Seattle, Portland, even Ft. Lauderdale. Many I'll never see again, but I still think on them. Yes, they may be ghosts* but they're still relevant to my movie. Your impact is far reaching in my days, very integral to the sum of my parts. I raise one of the multiple complimentary libations I received at the Starkey Zon Summit to you all! May your hearing devices all look sexy in the hand!!**



*"ghost" journal proper to follow
**Starkey gag. Go to their Zon website for the ref.

Comments

Popular Posts