Le Grande Soiree

Last Saturday I attended what was probably one of the most enjoyable parties I've yet experienced. Parties never held much appeal for me. One is expected to mingle like a fervent honey bee among the mums, going from petal to petal. Never liked that. I prefer qualitative discourse with one or a few versus the empty drifting and painful attempts to make conversation with as many individuals as possible. People I'll likely never see again. That sounds awfully cranky, yes. But that's how it is for me.

Sure, I've struck up converstaions at parties that led to strong friendships, but such are not usually fostered in these environments. Groups of people make me jittery, suck my energy. But not this time.

My former co-worker, a pharmacist who emigrated from France last year, called and invited me to a shindig ostensibly to be populated by other former co-workers. Indeed, many of them were there, with some real surprise guests. My fiancee was with me and it was a kick to introduce her to people about which I once spoke at length. Everyone was very complimentary of me as well. My Hopsice family. Yes, I worked at Hospice of Palm Beach County for almost a year. The first month was a bit dismal, but soon these folks impacted me far more than I would've ever guessed. EASILY the best work environment I ever had. I would've never left if the organization had a place for an audiologist.

So this night I ate too much, did a jello shot(!), and laughed with my former compadres. How I miss them. I even got to meet some new folks at this party. Quite a few, in fact. And the conversations weren't the usually watered down pseudo-clever attempts at wit. Maybe I'll attend more parties. Actually, I think it's Hopsice. It's magical, and it seems to bring out the best (and the best in) people, even after-hours.

Comments

Popular Posts