Remain in Love

I might've put off reading 2020's Remain in Love, Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club co-founder Chris Frantz's recollections of life, love, and music because at times he came across as a bit petulant on his Facebook page.  I cite, for one, his regular dismissals of members of the band Rush (I tend to be rather protective of them).  I found the comments to be unprofessional at best.  Also a bit ironic as Frantz has spent years complaining about the behavior of David Byrne, co-founder of the Heads, who can be fairly petulant himself. 

That out of the way, let me say how much I enjoyed Frantz's book, which covers his childhood on through to the night the Heads were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.  In between we get a satisfying amount of detail rich memories of his days at the Rhode Island College of Design and the formulation of TH, a line-up that was completed by Tina Weymouth (his classmate and girlfriend and later wife) and ex-The Modern Lovers keyboardist Jerry Harrison.  The bulk of this autobio covers the early '70s to early '80s.  A disproportionate amount of time is spent on TH's first tour of Europe, opening for the Ramones.  Frantz has some power of recall.  On a podcast, he relayed that his specific memories were assisted by Tina's diary.  

Chris does not hold back his feelings.  Johnny Ramone was a bully.  Brian Eno hogged credit.  Ziggy Marley (whose early albums he and Tina produced) was disrespectful.  The Happy Mondays (for whom they also produced) were an all around hot mess.  And of course he shares his many frustrations regarding bandmate/frontman Byrne, while sometimes depicted as the genius he was and is, is largely portrayed as aloof, selfish, and envious of others' success.  The vitriol between Chris/Tina and David has been making news for years.  It saddens me, as these type of things usually do.  I was pleased to see the four Heads reassemble to promote the fortieth anniversary of STOP MAKING SENSE last year. No reunion shows, yet.  I'm not holding my breath, but I would love to see Frantz write up some addendum about this seemingly happy time.

Chris Frantz is also quick to compliment others.  He has warm words for Debbie Harry and Hilly Kristal, owner of CBGB, where Talking Heads got their first real exposure.  There are some vivid descriptions of the place, and you can almost smell it.   His warmest words are for his wife, and the book is as much a love poem to her as it is some tell all.  He briefly but bluntly describes her reactions to his ravenging period of drug abuse as well.  

Remain in Love may not be enough for rabid fans, but was comprehensive enough for me and fun to read.  I really liked the way Frantz ended it, explaining that while some have decided it was time to move on from their relationships (no points for guessing who),  "I am not a person who 'moves on.'  I remain, and I remain in love."  Cheers. 

Comments

Popular Posts