Summer '24

Hello there, invisible audient! We're at that point again.  Time for a look about me in the oppressive heat and humidity of South Florida.  This has been another brutal summer, probably where you are as well? At least in the U.S.  Hydration is no joke; if you're out there you should be well equipped with water and the sports drink of your choice.  Maybe some Pedialyte.

The above pic was taken at a daylong 4th of July event in Boynton Beach.  Food trucks, games, music, fireworks, the usual things.  My wife learned of volunteer opportunities from an e-mail from our old church, Christ Fellowship, which has multiple satellite campuses around here.  I manned the pong game - large red buckets lined up like horizontal pyramids.  Two players, one on either side who attempts to land balls into the opposite side's buckets.  Yes, essentially beer pong without the brew.  I had a steady stream of kids and adults.  Regardless of who won, each player received a ticket to redeem prizes.  Great fun, 'cept unlike all the other games I had no tree shade.  Even with continuous water and Gatorade I was feeling it before my four hours were up.  I took a few breaks. 

My wife helped with the prize table near the park entrance.  You could select various items like miniature rubber duckies, ring pops, kaleidoscopes, bubble dispensers, or higher ticket items like glow sticks and kites.  Her relief never showed, so I helped her on the second shift, which took us past the fireworks show.  We had planned to watch them from our lounge chairs near the Intracoastal, but no matter.  Talk about steady streams; the lines never stopped.  Many were indecisive.  I got to help one kid assemble a kite.  We were spent by the end.  Our volunteer leader had us hand out popsicles to weary park goers as they exited. 

In a "backstage" kinda moment, I briefly chatted with a guy clad in a blue jacket adorned with stars, solid red pants, and a stars and stripes top hat who traipsed around on stilts to make himself seven or so feet tall.  Spending the day handing out flags and wishing everyone a happy independence.  He came into the volunteer tent and pulled out the personal fan he had in his outfit.   Those stilts hit the floor.  He too was pretty spent.

We are enjoying condo life again.  Aside from the (indoor) stairwell reeking of marijuana nearly every day.  And the mysterious, frequent loud thuds from the people upstairs.   Haven't communicated with anyone much beyond acknowledging smiles and nods, but most are friendly.  A nice lady two doors down always seems to be walking her dog(s).  A guy on the fourth floor is often hanging out in the parking lot early in the AM as I'm leaving for work, chatting with folks after his daily workout.  Amiable dude named Clarence.  

There is one busy body also on our floor who watches everyone like a hawk.  While I was backing a U-Haul into the carport she came out and warned me that she keeps tabs on everything that goes down, lest I scrape the tarp or scuff the elevator with our furniture.  No incidents.  This lady can often be seen wandering said parking lot.  Hopefully not an activity born of dementia. 

A few days ago I helped an old friend move some heavy stuff to a "staging area" in his garage.  An area close to the door for easy access when the U-Haul pulls up.  Tool chest, generator, patio furniture, etc.  This friend I've known since kindergarten.  He bought his childhood home from his mother when his father passed a few years back.  Mom moved to my friend's old apartment.  Unfortunately, she passed last year.  A day before her funeral, my friend's employer (IT firm) of nearly fifteen years informed him that he was being let go in a few months.  The entire company will be relocating overseas.  

He got a decent severance, but has had difficulty finding a new job.  Astounding for a man with his very in-demand skills.  This has led him to sell the house and move to the central area of FL to stay with his sister and her family while he searches for a new home.   Sad.  I've visited that house many times since my own childhood.  You can imagine the memories associated with it for my friend.  A difficult but necessary decision.   Lots of sweat put into that house.  He had gutted and renovated it, even adding an outdoor deck.  Made it his own.   But maybe it was time to move on.  You never know the bigger picture.  We sat in his back room and reminisced.  The weight of knowing that I would never set foot in that sweet, quaint old house again was heavy.  A feeling I've had before.

I also helped my friend very carefully wrap and box a Lego model of the Millenium Falcon.  A meticulous process involving plastic wrap, foam, and packaging tape.   He was not about to take it apart.  Took him thirty-three hours over a month to put it together.  When the wrapping was completed, we slid it into a rectangular box along with some cushioning.  Only a few pieces dropped during handling.   He wisely removed the landing gear struts before we started.  Han and Chewy would approve. 
I've been covering for my colleague at work as she had some medical procedures and requires weeks of recovery.  Sometime next month I'll take time off.  A trip? Hopefully.  Would love to get back out West. 

No other exciting news at the present.  Hope your summer is grand!

Comments

Popular Posts