Christmas Wishing

Well hey there, invisible audience! Merry Christmas to you.  How do you feel about the big day being on a Sunday?  Surely you're getting Monday off, too? You'll appreciate that even if you don't celebrate.  Or maybe you work in the service industry and have to work both days.  I hope there's at least some holiday pay in there for you.

This year my mind casts back to 1986 and the last Christmas I would spend with both my parents.  Their relationship had been coming apart for some time and a not quite a year after my high school graduation in '87 my mother walked away and never saw my father again.  It's a long, sad story I won't recount just now.  For this entry I choose to remember how warm things were in our house that December.  My mother once again decorated every room with cheer.  Baked cookies day and night.  Dad and I strung outside lights.  We had our (fake) seven foot tree in the living room with vintage ornaments and I had a five footer in my bedroom.  I loved having my own tree.  Maybe someday I'll pick that up again.

Christmas morning was another round of a wealth of gifts for this only child.  But in '86 I got one of the most coveted - a VCR. Finally! Many of my friends had had them for years.  They must have come down in price enough for my father to relent.  I recall them costing a grand or so in the 1970s.  The excitement I felt as I tore off the paper and saw the words "Video Cassette Recorder" was electric.  Overwhelming, especially for a movie mad teen.  I immediately began compiling mental lists of what I'd rent from "Pick-A-Flick" and what I'd record from HBO and Showtime.  Before I discovered what was in the big rectangular box I opened the flap of the gift tag: "We love you so much."   I can still see those words so vividly in my mind's eye. 

That is what gives me chills as I write this, thirty-six years later.  A longing to go back and hug my parents, to sit them down and try to make them stay together.  To communicate with them.  I really failed in that regard.  All three of us did.  Now they're gone. 

I don't mean to get all lachrymose or weepy.  As I said, I prefer to remember the joy and smiles of that time, and even before I furiously checked the cable guides to plan my tapings I had a real sense of peace and contentment in my home.  That Christmas would be one of the final times for my little family, it turned out.  I wish I could've bottled it. 

Maybe they were faking it.  I'd like to believe they really did still love and care for each other.  And me.  Of that, I'm sure.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good tidings to you and yours LLDrivel!

Popular Posts