Naples

Above you can see the mighty Gulf of Mexico, bordered by the crystalline beach behind the Ritz-Carlton in Naples, Florida.  It was a cool, windy Sunday morning.  The whitecaps were steadily rolling in.  Bliss.  I had just finished sessions at the FCOM (Florida Combined Otolaryngology Meeting) convention and was soaking in the scene before my drive back East.  I could've watched it all day, a reward after a few days of miserable rainy conditions and multiple lectures.  

But this convention, my first such outing in three and one-half years, was well worth the time.  It was a small gathering of medical ear, nose, and throat doctors, audiologists, and industry people.  As with the American Academy of Audiology conventions, an "expo" floor consisting of several vendors was presented.  You could listen to their spiel about hearing aids or pharmaceuticals, then get a sticker for your bingo card (or scan a QR code) which would later be randomly drawn for an iPad or gift certificate.  The educational sessions on the audiology track discussed the necessity of including speech in noise tests within a standard audiometric battery.  This is quite important as many patients complain of hearing loss, yet their test is revealed to be within normal limits - a test performed in an unnaturally quiet sound booth.  

Clinicians using Cognivue, a five minute, self administered test which measures a patient's memory, executive function, and visuospatial skills presented favorable data and made the case for its inclusion in a diagnostic battery.  It is something my clinic is considering.

As during conventions of years past, I was reunited with friends and colleagues I rarely see, excepting an audiologist and two ENTs I work with.   It is always fun to swap war stories and strategies; I certainly picked up a few nuggets I can use.  Most of us attended a Friday night dinner at the Ritz Golf Club, which we were shuttled to from the hotel.  Food was very good, and a guy strummed a guitar without a break for at least two hours.  I recall acoustic renditions of the likes of Hootie and the Blowfish and Jimmy Buffett.  The social dynamics of our group? Nothing pathological to report.  We did laugh a lot.

Saturday night after the classes there was an hors d'oeuvres and wine reception in the outdoor "Tea Garden", an open space that was a bit chilly after the rains brought in a front.   Lots of delicious samplers and more laughs.  After I had my fill of socializing I caught a showing of LAST NIGHT IN SOHO (review to come later this month) at the Towne Center 6 east of town.  Neither the theater's sign or marquee was illuminated.  Eerie.  The theater was older, as if the interior hadn't been updated since the mid 90s.  There were only three employees, one who a friendly fella who lazily swept the floor and told me my movie choice was not drawing a lot of patrons.  By the time the movie started it was just me and a young couple several rows up watching Edgar Wright's latest.  I had arrived early and hung in the dark auditorium as I awaited showtime.  It reminded me of what a lonely experience moviegoing can be, especially when most people you know don't share your taste.  But my wife called while I was waiting so I felt better.

When the movie was over, the floor sweeper was seen fast asleep in the front office by the exit.  At least he got an extra hour due to the time change.

Anyway, Naples is a very nice, clean, and safe town.  Visit the historic district off 5th Avenue, a mix of the old and new.  And unlike the East coast of FL, people are polite and know how to use turn signals.  

Comments

Popular Posts