Twenty Years

Like anyone who was around that terrible day exactly twenty years ago, I remember the details.  Where I was, what I was doing when I first learned about it.  I walked into my grandmother's living room to see the smoke billowing out of the first tower.  The Today show was on and the hosts were mildly bewildered.  But as data came in, faces got longer.  Then Tower Two was hit.  Saw it live.  I still feel a deep chill when I think of it.  We were under attack.  I was soon on the phone, one of untold numbers trying to reach relatives in NYC.  

I went to work.  Everyone was silent.  The radio was on.  I had a dull feeling in my stomach that lasted for a week.  A vulnerability, a weakness I hadn't felt before.

I won't comment on the "war on terror" that followed, the effects of which we are obviously still feeling.  I just felt the need to commemorate, to remember.  I still think about it all at least weekly.  

Where were you that day?

Comments

Popular Posts