For You

Outdoor  displays have been an integral part of many of my Christmases.  At least, those years when I lived in a house.  Currently, I do.  You may recall that my wife and I moved in with her mom in 2015 to help her following the death of her husband, my wife's stepfather.  This arrangement has lasted longer than either of us has expected, but I suspect that will change sometime in '21.  Anyway, my mother-in-law really loves to light up the front yard.  A few Saturdays ago, I helped her with the net lighting over the hedges (post trimming, naturally) and archway.  The Sharper Image snowman (still working, happy to report). 

Have I mentioned that during my childhood I participated in something similar? No LED twinklers in those days, at least not outside.  We used old fashioned big bulbs (ceramic?) on electrical taped wires that dated back to possibly the '60s.  My dad and I on a ladder.  The little colored beacons bordered our modest homes and the pine trees in the front yard.  Loved it.  Just enough, not at all like some of the Clark Griswold displays of recent years.  Have you driven past some of those?  Ambition to spare.  Some of these artists even hijack a low powered FM station to play Christmas music as you gape.  One year I was hanging with a friend, originally from Germany, who just shook his head at what I'm sure he considered American excess.

My MIL's set up is comprehensive, but not excessive.   We were talking about why she does it.  Coincidentally, the next day I saw a conversation on Facebook about how this year it may be more important/meaningful than ever.  It's not for us, it's for them.  For you.  Those walking, driving, biking on by.  A gift.  Some cheer.  Who knows the heavy burdens of those who pass?  The uncertainties.  Maybe these bright lights spark some encouragement.  That's what it's all about.  Lord knows we all need some after the year we've experienced.

We also put up a kresh (nativity scene) under the palms.  Pay particular attention to that if you happen by, invisible audience.  The hope associated is truly what it's all about.

Merry Christmas!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Well done.

Popular Posts