Panera Habit

My morning visits to Panera Bread were occasional in years past.   I would hit the one in my 'hood before work, usually devouring a breakfast sandwich and oatmeal with my coffee. I like the atmosphere there, even when some sales group would hold their weekly meetings (luckily in the sealed off little conference type room).  The employees were mostly friendly, and I enjoyed seeing the regular customers, one of whom was famous golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez. 

My visits became very frequent late last year and early into this one.  Almost every AM.  I was spending far too much money.  I knew it, but couldn't stop.  I had gotten lazy.  But then came Corona Virus Pandemic '20.  That's one way to manage frivolous spending.   I really missed my avocado egg white on the sprouted grain.  Also, the chipotle chicken and egg wraps.  And I missed the old guy who wanted his bagel toasted in a very specific fashion.  And another intriguing guy who was there every time I darkened the doorway, day and night.  Always at the same table with his laptop and heavily highlighted Bible.  He has a long beard.  I have always wondered if he was homeless.

Back in Feb. or so, I finally began exchanging hellos.  He is a very friendly guy, acknowledging by name nearly everybody who walks by.  We also traded some jokes.  But last week he and I had our first "serious" talk while I waited for my breakfast.  He told me some of his history, how he had been told years ago by doctors in Chicago that he should've died due to his poor health.  This prompted a dedication to the Lord's work.  He has written five books, by his report.  Most dealing with the coming Apocalypse.

Our friend Joe (not his real name) also has little good to say about America's megachurches.  He believes they are killing Christianity.  Hard to argue, mate.  But then he shared a few eyebrow cocking things:

1. Several "prosperity gospel" figures like Joyce Meyer and Jim Bakker(!) will all be struck dead by God on the same day.

2. Christians do not need to wear face masks during this pandemic as His children will be protected from the virus.

Maybe we will be, but it doesn't explain the deaths of many believers due to Covid 19.  It also smacked of some of the right wing rhetoric that is alarmingly prevalent right now.  My Panera friend did not go on a conspiracy theorist's rant, but had my food not arrived just then he might've.

These days I'm limiting my Panera habit to once every other week or so.  I told Joe that I would like to talk with him some more about Faith and God.  This is true.  I'm just hoping that whatever common ground we share is not eroded by political division.

Comments

Popular Posts