Fitteam Ballpark

My wife treated me to a spring training game at Fitteam Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach last Sunday.  It was an early birthday present, and quite a dandy.  I rooted for the Washington Nationals as they were pitted against the St. Louis Cardinals, arch-rivals for my Chicago Cubs.  Happily, the Nats beat the Cards 4-2.  The announcer stated that the game, the final one before the regular season, had sold out.  The stadium has a capacity of 7,700.

It was a bit hot in the low eighty degree afternoon sun in our seats behind the left field dugout, but when the sun moved the shade was nice.  The folks on the lawn probably roasted a bit more.  The bratwurst was good, but the chicken sandwich was dry.  The beer guys had Shock Top to atone for the Budweiser.  A brash older lady next to me announced she was a Cardinals fan and was amused that I rally for the Cubbies.  I saw T-shirts and hats representing many MLB teams, but I think I was the lone representation for the boys from Wrigley, who spring train in Arizona.

The Fitteam is an impressive facility.  One hundred and sixty acres.  Six practice fields per team.  The Nats and 2017 World Series Champion Houston Astros played all though March in prep for their run to October.  If you're a local baseball fan, you may be miffed that I'm telling you all this now, but hey, I missed it all last year and only finally got there for the finale.  And if you call yourself a fan you've already been there?!  There's always next year, as they say.

Until then, the Ballpark hosts car shows, corporate events, and soccer and lacrosse games.  There's a playground, splash park, basketball courts, and a walking trail.  Batting cages, too, which I also intend to check out.

Fitteam Ballpark of the Palm Beaches
5444 Haverhill Road
West Palm Beach, FL  33407
(561) 500-4487
fitteamballpark.com

Comments

Popular Posts