Cholo Soy Cocina

My movie saturated mind reeled when I learned that this amazing new taco joint in West Palm Beach is called "Cholo Soy Cocina".   Fans of John Carpenter's ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 may recall that the gang laying siege to the police station dropped a banner that read "Cholo".  It was explained by a character a bit later in the film that the word means "to the death."

I've since learned that "cholo" is also South American slang for "ghetto" or "mixed".  Owner/chef Clay Carnes, a self described "food savant" and former Cutthroat Kitchen winner on the Food Network, likes the term as he feels it accurately describes a mix of Peruvian, Bolivian, and Ecuadoran cuisines.  I can tell you that the tacos are the best I've had in quite awhile.  Carnes creates handmade white corn tortillas filled with very high quality meats.  I'm working my way through the menu.  I've had the steak, pollo, and chancho (pork), all fabulous.  Creative, too, with adornments of purple cabbage slaw and pickled pineapple peppers (how's that for alliteration?).  All the vegetables are locally grown.

The menu also includes ceviche, potato cakes, and an egg dish. There are ever changing craft beers on draft. Check this place out, perfectly located on Antique Row.  Only a few tables inside, with a few more out back.  There is some amusing artwork on the walls outside (including Speedy Gonzales). 

Cholo Soy Cocina
3715 South Dixie Highway
West Palm Beach, FL  33405
(561) 619-7018
cholosoycocina.com

Comments

Popular Posts