Opa!

Each year, I find I must summate the events of the annual Holiday Work Party for the 2 or 3 of you who read this blog. Each gathering has been memorable in distinctive ways and filled with often memorable (sometimes cringeworthy) moments. This year's was no different. Quite a lively one, at that.

We congregated at Taverna Opa, a chain Greek restaurant noted for its belly dancers and tabletop dancing, all while a plethora of napkins are tossed about and patrons (sometimes intoxicated) yell "Opa!" In traditional Greek ceremonies of many stripes, plates are broken. The food at Opa is good, too. I've long been a fan of their hummus, which you create yourself in a wooden morter filled with chick peas for the pestling. That, meatballs, pita triangles, and flaming cheese were brought out while we all sipped "Flirtinis" (vodka, champagne, and pineapple juice) and wine. I also indulged a Jack and Ginger.

A very nice touch this year: employees were given awards recognizing their anniversaries of service. Two of them have been there 30 years and change. That says quite a bit. One of the recipients stated that she still feels like she has "won the lotto" by having the oppotunity to work there. I agree. I've had jobs since I was 15-16 and I can tell you this is only the second time I felt this way. What a great thing to wake up filled with anticipation instead of dread and nausea, like I did for many years with previous jobs. I thought of this while my colleagues laughed, exchanged silly gifts in the white elephant thing (my contribution was a big hit-one of those plastic boys who pees on you when you hoist down his shorts), and shimmied like crazy on the tables (they did get me up there). Another blessed year. Thanks, guys. Opa!

Comments

Popular Posts