Tourista, Book One

It's only taken four decades, but I finally trekked off to Europe. The only previous opportunities came during childhood, with a trip to England with my 10th grade English class (didn't get to go, parents, argggh!) and the multiple visits my father made to his homeland of Norway (mother would never let me go; she was worried my father would keep me there. True story). Since then, funds have not exactly allowed. Even now, it was still an iffy proposition.

Through the generosity of my father-in-law, my wife and I were able to spend 6 glorious days in a chateau the countryside of SW France. Basque country. The town: St. Etienne De Bagorry. The chateau: Le Chateau D'Etchauz. The second entry is this new series will be focusing specifically on the centuries old castle, a marvel for various reasons.

Our trip took us through 4 airports: WPB to Philadelphia to Charles Degaulle in Paris to Biarritz. The trip from Philly to Paris took about 6.5 hours, good time as we had a favorable tail wind. As usual, I could not sleep on the plane. They DID serve a full dinner and later a warm pastry for breakfast. It had also been some time since I'd flown on a jet that had 2 aisles: roomy and quite pleasant.

Landing in Paris, we breezily went through customs and began a long layover before catching the next flight to Biarritz. We got there via Air France after about an hour flight. My father-in-law picked us up and I was on my first drive in a non-North American terrain. I was tired but very excited. The landscape was quite scenic, too. We were soon in the countryside and rolling pastures filled with cows and goats. This was Basque country, a land delineated by a culture that has existed for many centuries. I was and am currently reading through the fascinating The Basque History of the World: The Story of a Nation by Mark Kurlansky, and details from the book were unfolding in front of me as we raced along, bound for the Chateau. Scarlet red shutters adorning white houses. Each house designated by a name, many painted right above the front door. Bakeries selling cheese and cherry filled pastries made with ingredients all locally derived. We stopped for some goodies on the way. It would be my first taste of many gastronomic delights on this trip.

Kurlansky's book, I suspect, will merit its own review on this very blog whenever I finish it. Not sure when that will be, as my reading allotment still consists of mainly professional journals in order to keep pace with this dynamic profession of mine...

The Pyrenees mountains became visible. Rivers to our right. White water rafting opportunities. Soon, our town. St. Etienne de Baigorry. As we got closer the streets narrowed and the buildings added stories. This was Europe as I had imagined; all of it was. Cobble stoned roads, people carrying bundles of produce. Scores of tiny automobiles, not an SUV to be found. Lots of motorcycles. Bicyles, too. We approached a gate. We drove several meters of driveway which revealed our accomodations. Wow.....

Comments

Popular Posts