National Day of Prayer?

This is from an e-mail I just received. It excerpts the thoughts of a fellow Palm Beach Atlantic University alum. Food for thought.


I don’t get it. I don’t understand the need. I don’t see the value.
The National Day of Prayer.

First off, I believe in prayer and the value prayer plays in people lives. Prayer enables us to find peace and calmness in a world where both are greatly lacking. Prayer moves us closer to our God and the surrounding warmth of his presence. Prayer works.

This event seems reminiscent the prophets of old running around cutting themselves, dancing and crying out to the pagan gods trying desperately to get the attention of a distant god who needs so much pleasing to care. Again, I don’t get it.

Prayer should be a daily part of our existence, a very part of our being just as breathing is. Staging such events to show everyone we are prayer warriors seems insincere. Such propaganda is nothing more than creating infomercials to the holy for the sole purpose of securing a claim to God’s favor for our country and our people. God has no more love for the American people than he does the Dalit’s of India.

We can’t be greedy, uncaring, and judgmental all year and expect these cruel traits be overlooked because we gather with others to show our sincerity once a year on a crowed courthouse.

I like theatre as much as the next person. I wonder how God feels about it.

Comments

Stephen Ley said…
I agree completely. Well said whoever you are.

Popular Posts