Wedded

Another chunk of time has floated on by, more inactivity upon which my invisible audience can express imaginary frustration. "I've been busy" is my stock excuse/reason. It's accurate, trust me.

Got married. May 9th. Sailfish Club on a perfectly sunny day in Palm Beach, FL. I could not have asked for a more perfect day all around. My bride was breathtakingly beautiful. Our diverse guestlist mingled. The live jazz band played Herbie and Sonny. The food (what little we got to consume) was amazing. There is so much to say about this experience, yet so hard to put into words.

"Did you cry"? was asked. I got misty while we stood in front of the grand officiator, Rev. Jess Moody, yes indeed. I was more nervous, though, truth be told. I felt my breath escape as I recited the vows. I was in disbelief that it was all really happening. After so long. There we were. Not a dream, though it felt (and still feels) that way. Our prime desire was to have the witnesses to our union recognize that our marriage was to be a reflection of God's love. Everything else was frosting.

We had often spoke of a very small ceremony. At times, just the immediate family. At the court house, even. Neither of us are much for the pomp. Eloping was an option at times. We compromised, a lot, in deference to our relatives. There were some compromises that mildly irked us, but nothing substantial, and not worth nitpicking. I DID put up a fight over the music-originally considered to be a man, woman, and synthesizer. A pop song repetoire. We heard their CD. We heard them live. No chance. Nice folks, but this was our wedding, not a hazy karaoke night. We instead hired the aforementioned jazz group, and they were splendid.

We did a quick day and a half mini-honeymoon to the Jupiter Beach Resort. Romantic getaway package, complete with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaiting. We enjoyed nature for a change. We both live near the beach, yet found ourselves asking why we didn't go more often. It was the very definition of peace to be there. Man, I need to get out that surfboard again......

So. Married life. Best thing I ever did. Adjustments are always tough, but I can already see this will be very good for my stubborn 40 y.o. self. Reports as they happen.

Comments

Popular Posts