Closing Thoughts

For 2008. No, not for good! Too many arts reviews to publish. And that's what Lamplight Drivel has become. Fewer personal posts and mostly dissertations on music and film. Will that change in 2009? Got me. But I'll throw in a life nugget or two every so often. Here's one...

Christmas '08 was nice, low-key. I noticed far fewer outlandish outdoor displays in my neighborhood and beyond this year. A reflection of hard economic times? Likely. Those January FPL bills must be horrendous. I imagine people hear drumrolls as they tear open the bills (or open their e-mails). A notable exception was the Lake Osborne home of one Amanda L., who had a cookie exchange party. This house was decked in lights from the city easement all the way to the backyard. Th party itself was also delightful, a chance to catch up with friends I hadn't seen in 5-7 years. Thank you, Facebook. More on you later.

I got my first real tree. Love it. I will take it down in a few days. Last year I spoke of how I used to get ultra depressed after Christmas. But these last two years I've just looked ahead. Too much going on to get mired in all that wallowing.

No Christmas pageants for us this year. I miss seeing and participating in them, but my reservations keep me away. Very real and valid reservations. I'm not disparaging those who partake, but I feel like my worship experience is very different than that now. It has a place, just not in my world. For now, anyway. Being in a choir again would be a blessing. My last experience started with joyous rapture, then went down in flames. Another entry, someday.

So we saw several family and friends. Most doing well. All concerned about the usual things. They are the real treasures. Not the cashmere sweaters or high tech coffee equipment (though I do dig 'em). Just having time with these folks is the real joy. The One whose birth we celebrate imbues it all with His grace. "Happy Holidays" would only serve to depress me if the glitter was all there was.

There was so much more, but these words are enough. 2008 was, in the Dickensonian sense, filled with good and bad times. Micro and macro. 2009 is potentially a very interesting year. Maybe it will be the year I Stop Worrying and Love the Lord. Without my own self imposed baggage. I'll let you know how that goes.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Stephen Ley said…
Nicely said. As my hero Max Fischer might say "sic transit gloria!"

Popular Posts