Rant '10

I haven't posted anything ressembling a bitch session in quite some time. In the grand scheme of the world's ills, this may seem minor, but perhaps it is indicative of larger problems?

We were visiting the downtown library last Saturday. As we ascended the four floors, I glanced at the banks of computer monitors. What sites were people surfing? Not PubMed or some news source. No; YouTube, Facebook, and scores of video games. I turned my head and was greeted by some rap star extending his middle finger. Others were watching dance routines. And so on. The crusty near-middle-ager in me was appalled. My tax dollars are going to fund peoples' entertainment? At a place where knowledge and learning is supposed to be fostered? It seems wrong. Additionally, I saw only a handful of people reading books. Reading at all. The library was packed. It seemed wrong.

You're probably thinking I'm a fuddy duddy. There is a part of me that feels that way, too. Thinking that it really isn't a big deal. Plus, at least many of these people are staying out of trouble. You can compose many an argument. But I'm getting alarmed at how lazy we've become. We seemed to want to fill every spare moment with amusement, even at a library. When I went to the library as a younger person, I researched, read. Of course, in my childhood the only computers at the libary were loaded with educational programs, some were games, but I don't recall any of them requiring my trajectory skills with a sawed-off.

I was also required, for every hour of television, to read for 2 hours. And I watched a lot of TV back then. I had accountability, in the form of 2 stern but caring parents. Many of the individuals I saw at the library last weekend may not have even that.

My more extreme side thinks that libraries should block the above websites. I wouldn't advocate blocking e-mail. Many workplaces do this, like it or not. I'm guilty of goofing off myself, but such measures are admitedly effective. Sometimes you have to throw down the gauntlet, establish some parameters. Engage peoples' interest in more than just pithy status updates and music videos. I chafe a bit when I observe four stories of blank-eyed souls just being amused.

Comments

Stephen Ley said…
I'm with ya' on this. Too bad there isn't an inane entertainment blocker. Not that it matters, but I'm guessing 2/3rds or more of the folks using those PC's are homeless or residents of downtown ALF's or halfway houses. I recognize quite a few of the faces each time I'm there. It's the democratization of wasting time. Hey, everybody's on facebook now!
swan said…
People have a right to be the dumb sob's that they are... it's their tax dollars going to work for their own dumbing and numbing - frivilous entertainment has kept many a "progressive" society in check from the esteemed past time of thinking too much.
redeyespy said…
You have a point. Had it not been for the hours and hours of Happy Days, I probably would've formed a coup d’état or something...
swan said…
Stay beautiful, and have a delecious new year brimming with good books and wild realizations and more doing what you dream while awake.

liberty of the spirit!

Popular Posts