The Trip You Must Take, Part I

I look at this photo of Hubbard Glacier as the Celebrity Infinity inched closer and closer through iceberg shards. I'm still there. Still on the helipad, stunned with dozens of fellow cruisers. I may never leave.

Third day back from a whirlwind honeymoon out West and I still can't shake the calm. That's right, peace. Once again I've taken a trip "home" to a new place that nonetheless felt like I had been there my entire life, or should've been. Revealing, this. The faithful will recall that a trip to Minnesota last year had me waxing all sentimental over the state's natural beauty and decided lack of flash. Plus, the less noticeable, possibly intrinsic qualities that words can't seem to portray. After having been to Washington state, Alaska, and British Columbia, Canada, I sing again.

My mother-in-law very generously booked our passage on the Infinity for an Alaskan cruise honeymoon. I have heard about this trip, usually spoken with quiet excitement, for years. I even recall an episode of The Love Boat where such a journey was made (Gopher seemed to dig it most, IIRC). My supervisor went last summer. I never heard anything contrary, nothing less than a rave, actually.

It's all true. Believe the hype! Let's start with the cruise itself, my first. Friends have been encouraging me to take one, somewhere, anywhere. Ships leave ports as close as Ft. Lauderdale and Miami all the time. Just never got to it. People described the pampering, the glowing crews, the luxurious pace of life. All true. If I could've given 1000% gratutities to the butler, stateroom attendant, maitre d'. etc., I most certainly would have. Each of them made this trip more spectacular than I was expecting. Trays of goodies every afternoon, information, special seating, it never ended. And warm. I realize they get paid to smile all the time but our crew seemed awfully genuine. One of our hosts even showed us a picture of his family back in Columbia. He was counting the days until he was reunited with them.


While on board, we:

1. Got a couples' full body massage

2. Swam in heated and outdoor (brrrrrrr!) pools. On the latter, were we nuts?

3. Indulged in the hot tubs

4. Wrapped ourselves in blankets on the chaise lounges outside while sipping hot chocolate and Bailey's (in keepsake Celebrity thermoses)

5. Jogged the 11th deck outdoor track

6. Worked out like fiends in the gym (to counteract all the goodies we consumed)

7. Were mesmerized by a string trio who performed multiple times

8. Ate at a restaurant called the S.S. United States that was a multi-course extravaganza unlike anything I've had in years. Sonia had the sea bass; I had the filet mignon for the main. An array of cheeses, a sublime lemon lime dessert, ahhhh. This meal is in my all-time Top 5.

9. Other nights, we had the early seating at the Trellis restuarant, and met two delightful older couples.

10. ALWAYS took the stairs (again, all those calories to burn!)

11. Did nothing at all


Next time, Ketchikan, our first port of call (excluding Seattle, from which we sailed).....

Comments

Popular Posts