Living in the Fish Eye Lens

"These people were on our lunchboxes. This is the moment when Generation X realizes they're grown up"


As you know by now, three major celebrities passed this week: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson. Of course, one of them will get infinitely more coverage than the other two; all three were significant in my younger years.

As a child, I was, like most of my peers, required to go to bed early. McMahon and Fawcett (-Majors, at the time) usually showed their iconic faces well past the time I was supposed to be counting sheep. Strangely though, I was allowed to stay up until eleven to watch Charlie's Angels. On a school night! My parents were pretty totalitarian as to what I viewed during the elementary school years, but after watching the show again as an adult I could see why this one got a pass-it was clean. Not chock full of inuendoes like Three's Company or Soap, both of which were off-limits for years. Farrah and co. raced around amongst mayhem, but it was all G-rated-no serious violence or too much skin. Enough, however for my pre-pubescent self to um, admire her and her co-stars. And no, I never actually owned the famous poster.

McMahon hi-hoe'd along with Johnny Carson every weeknight at 11:30. I had to wait until Fridays to see him but I always enjoyed their banter. McMahon was a perfect fit with Carson. Both were pretty straightlaced, but Ed was an effective counterpoint. His barbs would occasionally, visibly ruffle the host, and it was a good ego check, imo. The best sidekicks do this. Fond memories.

Later years? I attended a Chicago concert locally in the 90s and guess who came out to introduce them? A nice surprise. Ed went on to host Star Search, appear in a few films, and be the guy who might show up at your door with a million clams, but those were just mortgage payments. Farrah's career was very erratic, though she had a triumphant turn in the telefilm THE BURNING BED. She also had an effective role in THE APOSTLE. Her odd behavior and assorted health problems made many more headlines, unfortunately.

That leaves Jacko. What to say? I danced around to Off the Wall and Thriller in my school days like so many of my generation. He was an icon comparable to Elvis, I believe. Bigger than his craft. He was beloved enough to rally a fan base that stayed loyal even as his behavior got increasingly weird. I can respect that. I don't know if the charges levelled at him were accurate or fair. It's all hearsay. Like many others, though, I like to remember that gleeful young man singing with his brothers, so joyful. I also like to remember the pop star who transformed into a werewolf in the revolutionary "Thriller."

I pray all three found Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts