Catch-Up for the Curious

I see I've neglected me blog yet again.

You know how it goes. The priorities, oh, the priorities! Been up to my eyeballs in work projects, for one. I take a lot of my work home. Additionally, there are research projects and journal articles to absorb and produce. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I were just a 9 to 5er I'd be certifiable. The mind numbing routine of those hours, however, still kills me. But, I have to say I do enjoy having nights and weekends off.

Thanksgiving was enjoyable. Sonia cooked an entire feast for her folks and mine, though regrettably they were not all at the same table. I assisted with the prep, and we look forward to more culinary science experiments for God Yule. We hadn't cooked for T-Day since 2002, Sonia's second year in grad school in delightful Monterey, CA. It's fun!

I got my first real Christmas tree on my own. After years of the fakery, I finally have the smell of pine (and yes, all the damned needles) to enjoy. White lights. Red bows. Elegant little tree.

LOVING what has proven to be a cool fall. More cool days than I can remember. If it could stay this way until April, I'd be plenty happy.

Last night we enjoyed an evening with Sonia's mother, stepfather, and their neighbor, Harry, for their monthly dinner gathering. Harry's 76 and loquacious. Particularly when he downs the vino. The running gag is that his glass is never less than 3/4 full below the meniscus. He also lugs around a gallon of red for each visit. This tends to unwrap his tongue quite easily, and he talks without a pause for breath for hours. About what, you ask? Cinema, for one. His knowledge of film is encyclopedic, particularly for those made in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. He knows the most arcane bits you can imagine; he could probably tell you what Billy Bitzer had for breakfast. Having just seen THE PALM BEACH STORY (yes, review forthcoming), we had a real whale of a time.

Harry also collects guns. His knowledge of arsenals is even more specific than that of film. Fascinating stuff. I've yet to see his collection, but he promised to bequeath something to me. Hmmmm. Years ago a friend and I visited another friend who ran a local bar and saw his stash-a living room filled with automatic weapons, as well as a revolver or dozen. My mouth was on the floor. When Harry talks of his pieces, I picture something similiar.

Today has been quite perfect: worship at Christ Fellowship, running into friends and mentors at the PB Toojay's, nap, great movie (another future entry), an invigorating run/jog up and down Flagler Drive, and divine weather. Going to see my mother now.

There. You're caught up, invisible audience. We now return you to your music and film appreciations. Er, eventually.

Comments

Popular Posts