Rhythm Cafe

For many years I had flown past the place. Always curious, though. Looked inviting. Strings of colored lights in the window, muted glows cast out onto Dixie Hwy. Wasn't that the old Rexall Drug Store? Yes. Across from my childhood (and long gone) Burger King? The very BK to where my classmates (not me, of course) from nearby Connisiton Jr. High would sneak during lunch? The same. And these days, the curious spot that is within walking distance from my apartment!

Turns out I had twenty years worth of passes in front of Rhythm Cafe. It was one of those places I had always intended on checking out, but just never got around to it. My loss, because our first venture there last night was a real treat. Plenty of personality: lots of kitschy touches such as pink fringes over chandelier lights and a mirrorball, but also a decidedly upscale feel. A line of understated artwork across the main wall, though around it more campy artifacts. Ecelectic music floating through the air. One minute, Janet Jackson. The next? Hey, isn't that Cabaret Voltaire? And cozy? You bet. The atmosphere reminded me of a few NYC joints I'd darkened during my many trips there in the 90s.

We were meandering down Dixie last evening when those lights caught my attention again. Curiosity finally got the better of us. We walked up to the door to examine the menu. Another sign: RESERVATIONS RECOMMENDED. Uh oh. But, we got right in.

The menu is concise, but dishes are well chosen. I had the chicken saltimbocca, one of the Friday Specials. Succulent chicken breast adorned with prosciutto in a tasty sautee. The red cabbage was a fine compliment. Satisfying dollop of "smashed" potatoes on the side. I recommend you wash it all down with some Warsteiner beer.

The star dish of the evening, however, was an appetizer Sonia tried. Wild mushroom tart. Fantastic. Portabellos in dried plum sauce over a flaky crust layered with porcini mushroom puree. I could have ordered four of 'em. A must if you go.

We did not have dessert, but the owners make their own ice cream, including rum raisin. We'll be sampling that on a return visit!

Most entrees are in the over $20 range, but salads are all under $10. Check this place out; it's a funky little gem. Any eatery that lasts for two decades in WPB is clearly fulfilling some need, and doing something right. Indeed they are.

Rhythm Cafe
3800 S. Dixie Hwy
West Palm Beach, FL 33405
(561) 833-3406

Comments

Popular Posts