The Chain

This past Sunday I began volunteering as a member of the prayer team at my church. My spirit leapt at this opportunity when the need was announced during the most recent Volunteer Fair. I still struggle with my prayer life. So often I feel that the entire process is by rote, just a memorized script devoid of relevance. My requests are urgent and genuine, but they seem to be born of a spiritual slouch, if you will. Autopilot.

Our church meets in a building that began as a church many decades ago, and has since become a venue for concerts and other events. A few years back I attended a Tierney Sutton show there. Each Sunday, the Harriet Himmel Theater is holy ground, its very foundation turned over to provide spiritual healing for the believer and doubter alike. Behind the stage is a labyrinth of cubby-like rooms, one of which is used for the purpose of coming together for intercessory prayer. During each service, two or more cry out verbally to God for requests and praises of increasing promiximity, i.e., we begin by praying for the service in progress, then gradually work away from the church out out to the most remote missionary, the most clandestine soul, far removed (in sundry ways) from our holy confine.

My first meeting was a true blessing. My words were surely not my own. I was concerned that I would try to sound like a polished, seasoned saint with my piety. Didn't happen, praise the Lord. Myself and three others brought forth impassioned pleas, prayers that are still with me. At one point, a folder of prayer requests was handed out; we were to pick three and specifically lift up each person's need(s). As I sifted through, I was shocked at how candid were the words of my fellow church members. These were real needs. Situations that in some cases were heartbreaking, unimaginable. Many did not hold back-people are dealing with some seriously destructive environments, attitudes. It may not sound surprising to you as you read this, but to see these needs on paper, right there, caused me to really ponder. At the very least, I realized that I have no room to whine about anything in my life.

The church is indeed a refuge for the sick, and there are very real needs. I am not excluded from this. I anticipate my experience in this group. It will most certainly quench my narcisstic tendencies

Comments

Popular Posts