Transitions

Yesterday I went for my monthly hair cut at Richard's Barber Shop, in the strip shopping center where I spent a good 9 years of my life.

First, it was Leisureville Pharmacy. The owner of it sold out to Walgreen's in 2004. Enter Express Care Pharmacy, same plaza but within a different unit. I stayed there for 2 years. Last year, it closed.

While I was waiting for my preferred folicle maestro, I strolled down to Americare, the latest attempt at an apothecary in this locale. Leisureville is a sprawling community of retirees. I got to know many of them quite well between 1997-2006. They've been beaten up by all of these changes. I wouldn't blame them if they are hesistant to give these new proprieters their business. Exhausting process for some seniors, transfering your Rxs when you're less mobile than you once were.

I met the new owners, even gave them some advice; Leisureville Pharmacy was quite successful. Express Care didn't fare so well. One reason, they refused to open on Saturdays due to religious rituals. The new owners will be closed the entire weekend. Bad move. Maybe they'll change their minds.

As well, a restaurant called Chaz & Pauli's also closed their doors since my last visit. This was astonishing news. This place had been in the black from almost their first month. They were a massive success, enough so that they moved from a smaller space in the plaza to a larger one---where Leisureville Pharmacy once stood. Another bad move. Now, they're gone as well.

I've noticed a lot of this in my days. Businesses come and go, part of life. Some stalwarts remain for decades, others are a mere glimmer in time. Every time I see another abandoned space where I had previously dined or otherwise utilized, I am reminded of how transitory our time on earth is. I have more reminders than I would care for these days. Yet another bold clue that my faith is only thing that will remain when everything else turns to dust.

Comments

Popular Posts