Paternalism

This week I received a letter from an attorney in Brooklyn who is the counsel for a second cousin of mine (Mrs. H) on my father's side. It seems that my father was named in the will of another cousin, but the attorney cannot locate my father. No surprise. He's been out of sight for about 17 years now. Gone. Lost to the shadows.

Mrs. H sent letters to various addresses of my father she ferreted out, but the letters returned undeliverable. After I received the attorney's missive, I looked her up and called. I can't even remember the last time I spoke with her. She told the sad story of the deceased cousin, who died mysteriously as his apartment burned down in 1999. Out of the wreckage, the envelope of a Christmas card was found, with Mrs. H's address. As the cousin had become a recluse, with no apparent immediate familial ties, it fell on Mrs. H to be the executrix of his estate. After failing to find my father for his share, she turned the heirdom over to me. So now I will receive a significant amount of money. I really need this money, and the timing of it is quite optimal. But is it at the price of my father? This is hard to reconcile. Have I lost him forever? Will I never hear his imperfect English ever again? I've kept my feelings on dear old dad in check for many years. Even with these developments, I feel hard hearted.

Who was my father? I remember him well, but as time progresses he becomes a bigger engima. Sorting out my feelings over this will be a chore. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts