10/31/07

Today is Halloween. I have a very rare weekday off and it's allowing me sufficient time to recall all the past ones. As a child, it was a typically fun time of cheap Woolworth costumes and bags filled with Marathon bars and Baby Ruths. I was allowed to trick or treat around the neighborhood, carefully avoiding that jackass down the street who flung rubber snakes at the unsuspecting tykes who rang. Maybe that guy is rotting away somewhere. Would serve him right. But God loves him too.

I live in somewhat of a secluded abode, behind a thick wooden fence and bamboo forest, so I probably won't get to drop goodies into any bags. Maybe some day.

As a Christian, this "holiday" has always posed a bit of a problem for me. A study of history reveals pagan origins. Evil rituals. Well, a Christmas tree is a pagan symbol, too. How do we choose to celebrate? I like dressing up and candy and pumpkin artistry. When I have children, they'll get to participate, but will also get a good dollop of mother and dad's explanation of it all. It's fun, with some caveats. Perspective, man. One must have it.

Comments

Popular Posts